The University of Hull is dedicated to supporting students who find themselves in financial hardship when at University, we do this by offering a range of funds which students can apply for.


How to apply


To ensure we are able to support as many students as possible, we ask that before making an application for any of our funds that you have explored all other options such as overdrafts, savings and applied for benefits (where appropriate). We will consider applications from students who have returned home but find themselves in hardship owing to a lack of immediate family support being available on a case by case basis.

If you think you may qualify for one of our funds or are facing financial hardship and are unsure which of the funds is most suitable for you to apply for, please contact us using the MyHull portal.

How to Raise an Enquiry

Please tell us as much as you can about the problems you are facing and details of all other means of support you have explored. Using this information we will be able to advise you which fund would be the most appropriate for you to apply for.

Please be aware that being advised to apply for a particular fund does not guarantee an award will be made and all applications will be assessed using the fund criteria.

If you require benefit advice please contact the Hull University Advice Centre


Funds Available


  • The Hardship Support Fund

The Hardship Support Fund is a limited, means-tested fund for UK/Home and EU students (who receive maintenance funding from Student Finance England) and are experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties

  • The Humber Grant (for Care Leavers and those with experience of care)

If you’re aged under 25 and are a young adult carer, a care leaver or have been assessed as estranged from your family by Student Finance England, we offer a wide range of support to ensure you have the best possible University experience

  • Discretionary funds

We have other limited funds available for students facing difficult or unforeseen financial circumstances, for example, homelessness, relationship breakdown or family bereavement

  • Northern Dairies Educational Trust

There are limited funds available for local, EU, and international students from developing countries who are facing unexpected or exceptional financial difficulties, through the Northern Dairies Educational Trust.

Other Student Support Services


Click here to find out more about the other support services during COVID-19.

We use cookies to collect and analyse information to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. To find more about our cookie use, see our Privacy Policy