Financial Support


The University of Hull has a range of funds to support students experiencing financial hardship and difficulty.  

Money struggles and unexpected additional costs can detract you from focusing on your studies. Often, managing your money, planning and seeking support with any financial concerns you have may ease the burden.  

The Financial Support Team are here to provide advice and support with any concerns or difficulties you may have with your finances.  

If you think you are eligible for one of our specialist support funds or are in financial difficulty and unsure what financial support to apply for, please contact the Financial Support Team using the myHull portal.

Please tell us as much as you can about the problems you face and detail all other means of financial support you have accessed already. Using this information, we will advise you which fund would be the most appropriate for you.


How to apply

To apply for one of the funds below or get more information of which fund is most suitable, please contact the Financial Support Team using the myHull portal, giving as much detail as possible about your current financial situation.

Students should make adequate provision for their tuition fees and living costs before the start of their course. We expect you to have explored all income sources, such as student/government funding, student overdrafts, parental support, or part-time work before applying.

Please be aware that being advised to apply for a particular fund does not guarantee an award, and we use internal and external guidelines to assess all applications fairly.

If you require benefit advice, please contact the Hull University Advice Centre.


Hardship Funds

Hardship Support Fund

Our Hardship Support Fund is a means-tested fund for students experiencing financial difficulties and is based on your eligible income and expenditure over the academic year. If there is a deficit or shortfall, usually an award will be made.

If you are an international student, we can offer support from our funds to cover any unexpected, short term difficulties. Any support we offer will be compliant with the terms of your student visa, if applicable.

We can also support students facing difficult or unforeseen financial circumstances, for example, homelessness, relationship breakdown, or family bereavement.

Please note: The Northern Dairies Educational Trust Fund is monies donated to the University and forms part of our Hardship Funds. If you receive payment from this fund, we will ask you to complete an additional form and write a ‘Thank You’ letter to the trustees.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer support to the following:

  • Students who need support to repay their tuition fees
  • Students enrolled as ‘exam only’
  • Students on validated courses
  • Students who are studying PGCE via SCITT gateway
  • Students who are studying the University Certificate in Health and Social Care Practice. This course is a level 4 University standalone award (60 credits) that is not attached to a degree
  • Students who are studying a part-time course of less than 25% (30 credits) of a full-time equivalent course

Contact the team through the myHull portal for further information regarding your eligibility, how to apply, and evidence needed.


Short term support

The University offers short-term loans for students experiencing a delay in receiving their funding. You can apply for a short-term loan once you are enrolled. The loans can be used as a bridge to cover expenses, such as rent and living costs until you receive your funding.

International students must ensure they have opened a UK bank account before applying for a short-term loan.

We do not offer any cash loans. We do offer bus cards, food vouchers and hardship packages for students in immediate financial difficulty.

Contact the team through the myHull portal for further information regarding your eligibility, how to apply, and evidence needed.


Specialist funds

Humber Grant

If you are a Young Adult Carer, Care Leaver, or Estranged from your family, the University of Hull offers a wide range of support to ensure you have the best possible student experience. You can apply for an award of £500-£1000, which includes book vouchers.

For new students starting their course and living away from home, we’re also offering a Unikit package of up to £150 of essential items, such as bedding and kitchen equipment, to get you started.

The Humber Grant is awarded in addition to any financial support you may receive from your local authority or Student Finance England (SFE) and does not need to be paid back. To qualify for the grant, you need to:

  • be a home student,
  • have permanent residence in the UK,
  • be aged 25 or under on the first day of the academic year,
  • and provide evidence of your Estrangement, Care Leaver status, or that you are a Young Adult Carer.


Child Grant

£200 per child is available to undergraduate UK students with an annual residual household income of £25,000 or less and who have children aged 16 or under (or up to 19 years if in full-time education), and are receiving Child Benefit.

The grant is not available to NHS funded students, students in their foundation year or studying foundation degrees, and students must be paying £9,000 or £9,250 tuition fees.

The Child Grant opens in trimester two, and any eligible student will be contacted and invited to make an application.


Sports Excellence Representation Programme

To nurture and develop student sport at the University, this programme offers financial support to compete in local, regional, national and international sporting competitions.

Funding is available to any student or staff member preparing to compete in a notable or elite-level sporting event. To find out more, email with details of the competition and what steps you’ve taken to get there.


Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) Reimbursement

Student Finance England (SFE) offers Disabled Students’ Allowances for those with additional costs incurred whilst studying at University due to a disability or long-term health condition. If eligible, you may receive help with specialist equipment, travel or a support worker. If your Study Needs Assessment recommends you require a computer or laptop, you will need to contribute £200 towards this. However, The University of Hull will reimburse this £200 to students.



Other Student Support Services

Click here to find out more about the other support services during COVID-19.

myHull portal
Report A Concern

We use cookies to collect and analyse information to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. To find more about our cookie use, see our Privacy Policy